1.

Friday 7 December 2012

The First One

The Beginning


It is still so surprising. You always think of cancer as something that happens to someone else. It is a cause you give to every year, and you feel really bad when you hear someone has been diagnosed. You just never think it will be you ... and then it is.

Hearing the doctor say, "You have lung cancer." Then hearing him say, "Mrs. Seel, you are in a very difficult situation," makes your heart stop for a moment. Literally, the "thump thump" in your chest seems to stop and then start again really loud and really fast, so that all you can hear is your heart beating out an incessant rythym in your chest. How do you let something like that sink in? How do you accept that it is your own body that is threatening you? Is there any way to make sense out of all of this?

I know this fight is going to be a tough one, and I know that the many people I love and cherish in my life want to help me. I thought the first thing I could do was set up this blog so that everyone can be updated without me having to tell the same story over and over again. Quite frankly, it is just too difficult. I have also asked my daughter to make regular posts to this blog to keep everyone updated.

A lot of my time lately has been spent thinking, and I came up with a few promises I can make to all of you:
  1. I will fight this thing with everything I have and then some. There is no give up in me.
  2. I will ask for help if I need it.
  3. Sometimes I will want to be alone. If that is the case, I will tell you. However, if I know I shouldn't be alone, if I'm having a really bad day or feeling really down, I will not isolate myself. I will reach out.
  4. I will check this blog and my email regularly to read your posts. In fact, that is something I really look forward to.
  5. I will keep you all updated through this blog. I love you too much to cut off communication, and I know you are all very worried.
Right now, I am very grateful for the phone messages people have been leaving me. They are so heartfelt, and I appreciate them more than you know. I hope this blog will help us all through the days that are to come.

With that, I will leave it to my daughter. She will fill you in on the nitty-gritty.

With love,
Laurie

8 comments:

  1. This is a great way to share information and to keep us updated on everything that is going on. Kevin and I are still in shock as i know most of you reading this are. It's alot to deal with. You always think that it happens to someone else, not someone that's in your family or that you love.

    My mom told me some words of wisdom last week that really sank in for me. She said ``it is what it is`` . You have to deal with the situation, there is no going back you have to move forward. You have to deal with what you are dealt.

    I know the people at Cancer care are amazing, and i know auntie Laurie is getting the best possible care out there. Always have good spirits! No doubt in my mind that auntie Laurie will beat this thing, she is way way to strong! We love you auntie Laurie! Now go kick this thing's ass!!!

    Love Boo and Kev

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason & Danielle8 December 2012 at 23:32

    Jason & Danielle

    I agree with boo and kev you will beat this i have no doubt in my mind that you will be strong and positive about it and look this thing in the eye and be able to say i beat you now leave me alone.

    When my mom told me i was shocked that this could happen to someone so special and touches so many hearts. this a a bump in the road and that we you and us the family have to look at it we as a family have been throw hell and back more than our fair share.

    this will not bring you or anyone else down it will make us all stronger. I KNOW YOU WILL BEAT THIS !!!!! Cant wait to see you on xmas eve.


    Love Jason & Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laurie, Tara and Bri, a HUGE thanks for putting this together as a super way to really keep in touch. I tried to email pics to Tara but mail was returned. I'll send you a private email via facebook with my email address so you can contact me with your proper email. I don't know about the videos though. I thought I had the zip mastered but these files are just so big. I will keep trying and then you all can decide what you want to post.

    I love you all and my heart is with you all the way. Cec

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to see you have the blog up and running. I really like your profile and am proud to say that I am one of those long-time friends/ colleagues. From sleep-overs in Junior High to sleep-overs in Grace Hospital (33 years ago this week while giving birth to our amazing daughters), to sleep-overs in cruise ships in far away locations to a most recent sleep-over earlier this week. We have grown up together, gone to school together, worked at TD Bank together on two occasions, partied together, gone to showers, socials, weddings, and funerals together. We have laughed and cried together and together we are going to get through this. In the past 40+ years we have been there for each other and you can count on me to be there to help you with your fight .

    Love Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great idea to do. When Bri told me and Sabrina the other night at dinner my heart sank and I didn't know what to say. I haven't stopped thinking about you since I found out Mrs. Seel and I want you to know that I am here for you, Bri and Tara. I love you very much and I know WITHOUT A DOUBT that you will Kick Cancer's Ass.
    Love always,
    Leanna <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dori, Peter and Celeste13 December 2012 at 23:21

    Love you so much Auntie Laurie! You will beat this!

    Love Celeste, Dori and Peter

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Laurie and family . . .you are very much in our thoughts these days . . .so hang in there and just be tough . . .you'll beat it!! "And this too shall pass".
    All our love . . .Uncles Richard & Rodney

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello from Calgary!

    Laurie,

    Just wanted to wish you the very best. While our relationship has been based around banking, I want to let you know that you are one in a million. You have always been there for Kathy and I and we appreciate it very much. Please know that we are thinking of you and Yes, you can beat this thing!

    Take Care,

    Rick and Kathy Boguski

    ReplyDelete